make learning fun!!….
699 total views, 3 views today
700 total views, 4 views today
#1 Which of the following conditions are associated with El Nino? 1. Weakened trade winds 2. Warm water off the west coast of South America 3. Low pressure around north Australia. Select the correct answer using code below?Solution (a)
The term El Niño refers to the large-scale ocean-atmosphere climate interaction linked to a periodic warming in sea surface temperatures across the central and east-central Equatorial Pacific.
· Warm water off the west coast of South America
· Weakened or reversed trade winds
· Increased pressure and drought around north Australia and Indonesia · Rain in desert of Peru
· Failure or weakening of South Asian monsoon
· Powerful winter storms in California
#2 Which of the following Central American countries does not have border with both Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea??Solution (c)
#3 Consider the following statements with reference to Bauxite found in India. 1. It is mined from laterite rocks. 2. Odisha is the largest producer of bauxite. Which of the statements given above is/are correct??Solution (c)
- Bauxite is the ore which is used in manufacturing of aluminum.
- Bauxite is found mainly in tertiary deposits and is associated with laterite rocks occurring extensively either on the plateau or hill ranges of peninsular India and also in the coastal tracts of the country.
- Odisha alone accounts for 51 per cent of country’s resources of bauxite followed by Andhra Pradesh (16 per cent).
- Bauxite is a sedimentary rock with a relatively high aluminium content.
#4 Which of the following water bodies surround the Scandinavian countries? 1. Norwegian sea 2. North Sea 3. Kara Sea 4. Baltic Sea. Select the correct answer using code below?Solution (b)
#5 Consider the following statements with reference to the laterite soils. 1. These develop in areas of high temperature and low precipitation. 2. These soils are the end products of weathering and cannot be weathered further. 3. These soils support certain plantation crops when irrigated. Which of the statements given above are correct??Solution (c)
- The laterite soils develop in areas with high temperature and high rainfall.
- These are the result of intense leaching due to tropical rains.
- With rain, lime and silica are leached away, and soils rich in iron oxide and aluminum compound are left behind.
- Humus content of the soil is removed fast by bacteria that thrive well in high temperature.
- These soils are poor in organic matter, nitrogen, phosphate and calcium, while iron oxide and potash are in excess.
- Hence, laterites are not suitable for cultivation; however, when manured and irrigated these become suitable for growing plantation crops like tea, coffee, coconut etc.
- These soils are the end-product of weathering, and cannot be weathered much further and are indefinitely durable.
698 total views, 2 views today