- GSTN stands for Goods and Service Tax Network (GSTN).
- A Special Purpose Vehicle called the GSTN has been set up to cater to the needs of GST.
- The GSTN shall provide a shared IT infrastructure and services to Central and State Governments, tax payers and other stakeholders for implementation of GST.
- The functions of the GSTN would, inter alia, include:
(i) facilitating registration;
(ii) forwarding the returns to Central and State authorities;
(iii) computation and settlement of IGST;
(iv) matching of tax payment details with banking network;
(v) providing various MIS reports to the Central and the State Governments based on the tax payer return information;
(vi) providing analysis of tax payers’ profile; and
(vii) running the matching engine for matching, reversal and reclaim of input tax credit.
- The GSTN is developing a common GST portal and applications for registration, payment, return and MIS/ reports.
- The GSTN would also be integrating the common GST portal with the existing tax administration IT systems and would be building interfaces for tax payers.
- Further, the GSTN is developing back-end modules like assessment, audit, refund, appeal etc. for 19 States and UTs (Model II States).
- The CBEC and Model I States (15 States) are themselves developing their GST back-end systems.
- Integration of GST front-end system with back-end systems will have to be completed and tested well in advance for making the transition smooth.
- Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) is a not-for profit, non-government company promoted jointly by the Central and State Governments, which will provide shared IT infrastructure and services to both central and state governments including tax payers and other stakeholders.
- The Frontend services of Registration, Returns, Payments, etc. to all taxpayers will be provided by GSTN.
- It will be the interface between the government and the taxpayers.
688 total views, 6 views today