QUESTION- Prelims-IAS – HISTORY MCQ-11
- Rammohun Roy started Atmiya Sabha in Calcutta in 1815.
- In 1828 he founded a new religious society, the Brahma Sabha, later known as the Brahmo Samaj.
- In 1817, David Hare founded the famous Hindu College.
- Rammohun Roy gave most enthusiastic assistance to Hare in this.
- Tatvabodhini Sabha was started by Debendranath Tagore to propagate Rammohun Roy’s ideas.
- Brahmo samaj was established by Raja Ram Mohan Roy in 1828.
- It was based on the twin pillars of reason and the Vedas and Upanishads.
- It discarded the faith in divine incarnation.
- It denounced polytheism and idol worship.
- It criticized caste system.
- It took no definite stand on the doctrine of Karma and transmigration of soul and left it to individual Brahmos to believe either way.
- Sir Syed Ahmed Khan thought that Muslims should first acquire education before going for politics.
- He wanted patronage of colonial govt for the development of Muslims.
- He never advocated the partition of India.
- Apart from the correct option, other areas where the carried out public agitations were freedom of press, trial by jury, revision of Company’s Charter and so on.
- Ramakrishan Mission was inspired by the teachings of Ramakrishna paramhans.
- Its thinking was rooted in Indian thought and culture.
- Unlike the Arya Samaj Movement, the Ramakrishna Movement recognized the utility and value of image worship.
- It stood for service, charity and selfless devotion to God.
133 total views, 3 views today