Choose the correct code
a) 1,2 and 3 only . b) 1,3 and 4 only c) 2,3 and 4 only d) All of the above
- A democratic polity, as stipulated in the Preamble, is based on the doctrine of popular sovereignty, that is, possession of supreme power by the people.
- Democracy is of two types—direct and indirect.
- In direct democracy, the people exercise their supreme power directly as is the case in Switzerland.
- There are four devices of direct democracy, namely, Referendum, Initiative, Recall and Plebiscite .
- In indirect democracy, on the other hand, the representatives elected by the people exercise the supreme power and thus carry on the government and make the laws.
- This type of democracy, also known as representative democracy , is of two kinds— parliamentary and presidential .
- The Indian Constitution provides for representative parliamentary democracy under which the executive is responsible to the legislature for all its policies and actions.
- Universal adult franchise, periodic elections, rule of law, independence of judiciary, and absence of discrimination on certain grounds are the manifestations of the democratic character of the Indian polity.
- The term ‘democratic’ is used in the Preamble in the broader sense embracing not only political democracy but also social and economic democracy .
2. Like India, many other countries have a written constitution. What is the basic function of a Constitution?
- The first function of a constitution is to provide a set of basic rules that allow for minimal coordination amongst members of a society.
- The second function of a constitution is to specify who has the power to make decisions in a society. It decides how the government will be constituted.
- The third function of a constitution is to set some limits on what a government can impose on its citizens. These limits are fundamental in the sense that government may never trespass them.
- The fourth function of a constitution is to enable the government to fulfill the aspirations of a society and create conditions for a just society.
- 1 st and 3 rd statements are wrong as a government can presidential or parliamentary.
- Constitution codifies the authority. But what type of authority will be there depends on the kind of polity fixed in a country.
- 4 th statement is incorrect because details of crimes and punishments are codified in Criminal Procedure code and civil procedure code.
- Answer- B
3. Which of the following statements are correct regarding the Fundamental Rights present in Indian Constitution?
Select the code from following:
a) 1 only . b) 2 only . c) Both 1 and 2 . d) Neither 1 nor 2
- A democracy must ensure that individuals have certain rights and that the government will always recognise these rights.
- Therefore it is often a practice in most democratic countries to list the rights of the citizens in the constitution itself.
- Such a list of rights mentioned and protected by the constitution is called the ‘bill of rights’.
- A bill of rights prohibits government from thus acting against the rights of the individuals and ensures a remedy in case there is violation of these rights.
- Ans- A
4. Which of the following Rights have been provided by the Constitution to ensure fair trials in court?
3. No person shall be asked to give evidence against himself or herself.
Select the code from following:a) 1 and 2 . b) 2 and 3 . c) 1 and 3 d) All of the above
1. In a direct democracy people of a country elect their representatives to legislate. 2. India is a direct democracy
Which of the above statement(s) is/are correct?a) 1 only . b) 2 only . c) Both 1 and 2 . d) Neither 1 nor 2
- We often distinguish between direct and indirect democracy.
- A direct democracy is one where the citizens directly participate in the day-to-day decision – making and in the running of the government.
- India is an in – direct democracy where people elect their representatives which in turn make the laws for the country.
- Ans- d
823 total views, 3 views today